The issues facing parents of adult children with Down syndrome might include:
- Housing: What living arrangements are best-suited to your child?
- Employment: What kind of job is your child equipped to do?
- Medical: What unique medical issues arise as your child becomes an adult? Where do we get help?
- Guardianship and legal questions
- Financial Planning: How do you make sure your child is taken care of after you’re gone, especially if he/she needs long-term care?
- How does your child navigate the world without you?
We can address and provide support with all of these questions.
After the pre- or postnatal diagnosis that was given early in a child’s life, parents may go through what we call a “second mourning.” It’s not unusual for some of the same confusion and anxiety you remember from those days so long ago to resurface as you try and figure out the next chapter of your adult child’s life.
Call us at 303.797.1699 with any of your questions and concerns.